Book Recommendations

I love to read in my spare time, and thought it would be nice if i branched out from mythology a bit and shared a couple of my favorites! I will include author and genre to help, along with the title of the book. Many books I read come in a series, and i will mention that too.

1. The Red Pyramid by Rick Riordan

This book is a fantasy genre. It is centered around Egyptian mythology, and the author is a definite favorite of mine, so more books of his will most likely appear one the list farther on. Yes, it is a series, and there are two other books in the Kane Chronicles series, Throne of Fire and The Serpent’s Shadow.

2. To Best the Boys by Mary Weber

One of the lesser known books on this list, still excellent.Realistic fiction, which normally doesn’t really fit with reading style (I prefer regular fiction) but there is no way this book wasn’t making its way on here. It is mostly about a girl trying to prove she is good enough, so she sneaks into a deadly contest for a scholarship to one of the most prestigious schools around. Only, the contest is only open to boys.

3. Nevermoor: The Trials of Morrigan Crow by Jessica Townsend

I am putting this on here (despite still just getting started on reading it) because it came recommended from a friend who is also a big reader and her reading style is the same as mine. Honestly, just read it. It sounds and looks exciting (for me at least) and is part of a series.

4.  Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley

I know, I know, who wants to read a book with a title like that at my age? Don’t underestimate this book. Or the series. Yes, it has fairy-tales, and evil villains….but does the evil villain normally look like a cute little girl with a pet “kitty”? (I say kitty with air quotes because her so-called “kitty” is a huge Jabberwocky, which is basically a dragon) Not to mention this little girl is generally considered a hero. And of course, the fairies. I could never forget the fairies. The fairy in question enjoys writing on people’s faces with Sharpie, ordering around an army of pixies (tiny floating lights) and random forest creatures, dumping vats of stuff that I prefer to keep unnamed for your sake on people,  and generally causing chaos. Fun times. Go read it the book now, please.

5. A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz

Again with the fairytales. I seem to have a thing for mythology and fairytales with a twist…oh well. I’m sure people all know the children’s versions of the story, warped and twisted into a cute cuddly thing with good always easily triumphing over the bad, evil villain. And while some people are perfectly comfortable with that. And some people would probably prefer the original versions, without all the cute cuddly ness. This series is for those people. Not the original tales in that boring old language I can never understand, or just the tales all juts in that book. No. This a tales cross over each other, and all fits together seamlessly to create one web of a story. I loved this series overall and highly recommend it, just not within earshot of young kids and easily frightened people when reading aloud.

Well, there’s my list so far. I will probably update this list about once a week, so when in need of a good book, there will be some new ones posted. If you would like more details or a better summary of a book, I will reply in the comments.