Celtic Mythology

Hi! Welcome back to my blog, Mismatched Mythology. Today I’m doing a post on Celtic mythology, as you can tell by the title, and it’s a new topic for me so let’s get started! Here is a list of Celtic gods that were very common beliefs back then.

CELTIC  DEITIES

Morrigan:

The Celtic goddess of war, she is often paired with Dagda, “The Good God”, father of Brigit and Danu, and technically god of creation. She often takes the form of a crow or raven and is able to predict the outcome of a battle and aid who she chooses in war. She was the one who offered immortality to Cuchulainn, the great hero. He was pretty much the Celtic version of Hercules.

Morrigan

Brigit

Brigit is the goddess of the Fire of Inspiration and the Fire of the Hearth, as well the Fire of the Forge. She keeps the flames of the earth protected. She is not the queen of the Celtic pantheon, but she is still one of the most important and prominent goddesses of the Celtic pantheon. Her father is Dagda. Her mother is mainly known as the Morrigan (see above) and she is married to Bres. They had a son named Ruadán together – who died after he is slain fighting for the Fomorians. She is also thought to be a continuation of the Indo-European dawn goddess. Brigit is mainly connected with the spring season, fertility, healing, poetry, and smithcraft. Some books state that Brigit was the goddess whom poets adored.

Some say she had two sisters- Brigit the healer, and Brigit the Smith. This might mean that she may have been a triple deity. Saint Brigit shares many of the goddess Brigit’s features. Her feast day, on February 1st, was   a festival marking the beginning of spring. Some people suggest that Saint Brigit is merely just a Christianization of the goddess Brigit.

Her name means exalted one, meaning she was one of the most important goddess an of high importance.

4 thoughts on “Celtic Mythology

1. Wow! That article was very descriptive! I learned a lot about Bright. And may I say, those pictures are beautiful! Bright especially caught my eye. Her glowing essence is hard to miss, and her dress seems to be flowing endlessly. Are there any books on her? I would love to learn more, and I will definitely be keeping up with your blog! Again, amazing article with beautiful art!

• Thank you! I don’t know any books entirely based off Brigit, but if you are interested in Norse mythology, which is similar to Celtic myths, I would recommend the Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard series.