Hawaiian Mythology

Hi! Welcome back to my blog, Mismatched Mythology. Okay, let’s get started. Hawaiian mythology is kind of complicated, so I’ll just start with the basics.

The god of creation, Kāne, threw a calabash (large pot for holding water or food for cooking) into the air. The top fell off and became a curved bowl, also known as the sky. Two large pieces fell off and one became the sun, the other one the moon. The rest of the calabash became the Earth and fell back into the sea. Kāne then enlisted the rest of the gods help in creating Red Earth Man, the first shadow. Eventually though, he grew lonely and the gods didn’t want to see him like that, so they made him into a a living, breathing human.

Another version of the story of creation is that there was only Po, the great black chaos that never ended. Kāne, feeling himself slip away of Po’s clutches, managed to free himself. Seeing their brother free, Lono (the god of the heavens) and Kū (the god of war) also escaped through the gap their brother had made and freed themselves as well. The three, or union, of gods created the rest of the powerful gods and made the earth for their footstool. They also created several lesser gods to be their servants and work for them. Some of the powerful gods that Kāne, Lono, and Kū created include Pēle, the goddess of fire and volcanoes, Hi’iaka, the goddess of lightning (and Pēle’s little sister!),  Papa, the goddess of nature, and Kamapua’a, the god of boars and pigs, who is also Pēle’s husband. Another of the really prominent gods is Kanaloa, the god of the sea. After all, Hawaiians do live on an island!

Well, that will end my post. See you next time! Bye!

4 thoughts on “Hawaiian Mythology

1. Wow! I never knew that there were such things as Hawaiian gods! Your blog was cool to read! I learned a lot. 😄